Friday, January 13, 2012

Big Puterbaugh Caddis

With the recent snow storm hitting Western PA, I found myself daydreaming of rising trout. Cutthroat trout of Montana and Wyoming. Hoppers would work in the late summer, but caddis seems to be key out west.

The Puterbaugh pattern has been a favorite all across the county for matching caddis hatches.  Size and color can be changed for the different hatches.  Size 10 is pretty big but will no doubt work on lightly pressured trout throughout the summer.  The Puterbaugh floats well and is very durable, due to the usage of foam.  Know it's time to whip them up in a variety of sizes and colors.  I'm also thinking this pattern will be good in pink and yellow.





The Puterbaugh pattern






They are also stupid easy to tie.



beer

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice bug. I love chucking big dry caddis, and foam. I'm gonna have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pattern. I'll have to steal that one too. I'll probably use that for some natives too. Extra buoyant is always helpful for those small mountain stream brookies.

    ReplyDelete